Friday, February 1, 2008

Hot Bunny Radio Playlist for January 31st

CKLU 96.7 FM
* denotes Canadian talent
italics denotes a new release

I apologize for not posting a playlist last week but I fell victim to the sick that's going around and had to miss my show. Anyway, I'm back and this week's show is maybe one of my favourite shows I've done. We got a brand new shiny studio that's great and finally moving us into the right technological age. I also resurrected my vinyl which proved to be a great bit of therapy for me. Ever since I got my iPod I started doing a lot of pre-programming and stopped hauling my vinyl around. Which is kinda sad for me because I used to bring some for almost every show and Marc even bought me a fancy professional DJ bag to safely transport them back and forth. It's much hipper than a milk crate I'd say. Much of my vinyl I don't own on CD as I much prefer the sound of vinyl for certain albums (ie: Motown stuff, Patsy Cline etc) and as a result I don't listen to them as much as I'd like. Easy to say that last night in the studio... I was DAN-CING.
  • Isaac Hayes -- If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Want to be Right) -- Forever
  • The Pipettes -- Because It's Not Love (But It's Still a Feeling) -- We Are the Pipettes
  • Rock Plaza Central -- You As A Landscape -- The World Was Hell To Us *
  • Plants and Animals -- Lola Who? -- with/avec EP *
  • Immaculate Machine -- Jarhand -- Fables *
  • Kara Keith -- Gorgeous Gots The Gold -- Kara Keith *
  • Jens Lekman -- If I Could Cry (it would feel like this) -- Night Falls Over Kortedala
  • Peter Elkas -- Sweet Nancy -- Wall of Fire *
  • Aretha Franklin -- Oh Me Oh My (I'm a Fool For You Baby) -- Young, Gifted & Black (vinyl)
  • Sondre Lerche & the Faces Down -- She's Fantastic -- Phantom Punch
  • Jenn Grant -- Don't Worry Baby -- Orchestra For The Moon *
  • Luke Doucet & the White Falcon -- Long Haul Driver -- Blood's Too Rich *
  • Kate Maki -- Beyond The Sun -- On High *
  • New Buffalo -- I'm The Drunk & You're The Star -- Somewhere, Anywhere *
  • Black Mountain -- Evil Ways -- In The Future *
  • The Flaming Lips -- Thank You Jack White (For The Fibre-Optic Jesus That You Gave Me) -- 7 inch Japanese import (vinyl)
  • Portico -- Crime Scene -- Progeny Blues *
  • Sunparlour Players -- If The Creeks Don't Rise -- Hymns For The Happy *
  • Elliott Smith -- Thirteen -- Thumbsucker OSR
  • Otis Redding -- Try A Little Tenderness -- The Very Best of (vinyl)
  • Jason Collett -- Roll on Oblivion -- Here's To Being Here *
  • Dragonette -- Jesus Doesn't Love Me -- Galore
  • Stars -- Take Me To The Riot -- In Our Bedroom After The War *
  • Thurston Moore -- Honest James -- Trees Outside the Academy

Notes this week:

  • The Pipettes: Seriously, nothing is more fun than them;
  • Kara Keith = really good;
  • Jens Lekman: There's a reason this record ended up on so many Best of 2007 lists but I'm kinda surprised nonetheless;
  • Peter Elkas: Going on tour with Jason Collett?? More like "Tour of Music Made for Tara" I'd say;
  • This Aretha song makes me want to be a do-wop backup singer (seriously listen to the chorus, you'll be swaying your hips and snapping your fingers too) and if I could be guaranteed Aretha would play that song I'd be all over her Radio City Music Hall concert like a fat kid on a Smartie;
  • I wish someone wrote She's Fantastic about me. Sigh....
  • Black Mountain = Wha?? So good!!!
  • If you only buy 1 Sunparlour Players song on iTunes, I.T.C.D.R should be it;
  • Otis Redding: My faaaaaaaaaaaaaavourite ever and HAS to be on vinyl. He's who Marc and I danced alone to in our living room after our wedding since we didn't have a dance. Tenderness might be unfortunately over-used but get it on vinyl, turn it up loud and tell me the first minute of the song doesn't make you want to cry. The Hammond organ, the vocals and then the rim-hits start and then when he sings "easier, easier to bear" you can't help but throw your hands up a la Christina Aguilera trying to hit a high note and then just when you think your heart might burst from pure music amazement the saddest thing in the world happens -- the song ends just when it starts getting going. That has to be the saddest thing to ever happen in music but makes you move the needle back to the beginning of the song and start all over;
  • If the new Jason Collett record is as good as the first song is I might just have my first favourite record of 2008. What an amazing first track;
  • Thurton Moore: Marc got me this record in my stocking and I'm sad I waited until 2008 to listen to it. His second solo record coming 11 years after his first one and what a comeback. Fri/End just might be the toe-tappiest song I've heard in awhile and yes, that is J Mascis on guitar. My rockstar crush on Thurston is back with a vengeance...

No comments: