Friday, February 15, 2008

Hot Bunny Radio Playlist for February 14th

CKLU 96.7 FM
6-8pm
* denotes Canadian talent
italics denotes a new release

Well here you have it! The annual Hot Bunny Radio Anti-Valentine's Day show! 2 full hours of angsty break-up songs, mean songs and good old-fashioned hate songs! Everyone's favourite time of year here at HBR (except my mother's). Be sure and check the notes section for some of my favourite Anti-Valentine's Day lyrics!
  • Cake -- Never There -- Prolonging the Magic
  • Violent Femmes -- Fat -- 3
  • The Vinaigrettes -- P.S. I Hate You -- Atta Boy, Atta Girl *
  • Nathan Lawr -- What You Lie To Me -- The Heart Beats A Waltz *
  • Sarah Harmer & Jason Euringer -- Your Cheatin' Heart -- Songs For Clem *
  • Whiskeytown -- Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight -- Strangers Almanac
  • The 5.6.7.8's -- I Don't Need You No More -- The 5.6.7.8's
  • Lou Reed -- Sick of You -- New York
  • The Knickerbockers -- Lies -- Quivers Down the Backbone
  • Ben Folds -- Gone -- Rockin' the Suburbs
  • Blake Babies -- Take Your Head Off My Shoulder -- Earwig
  • Stars -- The Big Fight -- Your Ex-Lover Is Dead *
  • The Reverend Horton Heat -- 400 Bucks -- The Full Custom Gospel Sounds of...
  • Luther Wright & the Wrongs -- Broken Fuckin' Heart -- Guitar Pickin Martyrs *
  • Social Distortion -- Bye Bye Baby -- Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
  • Bob Dylan -- Positively 4th Street -- The Essential Bob Dylan
  • Camera Obscura -- Dory Previn -- Let's Get Out of This Country
  • Adam Green -- Baby's Gonna Die Tonight -- Garfield
  • Eric's Trip -- Hate Song -- Forever Again *
  • PJ Harvey -- Who The Fuck? -- Uh Huh Her
  • The Replacements -- Answering Machine -- Let It Be
  • Jim Bryson -- Mean Streak -- North Side Benches *
  • Julie Doiron -- Don't Wanna Be/Liked By You -- Woke Myself Up *
  • Ani Difranco -- Untouchable Face -- Dilate
  • Neko Case -- Runnin' Out of Fools -- Blacklisted (vinyl) *
  • The Beatles -- Not A Second Time -- with the Beatles
  • Elvis Costello & the Attractions -- Sour Milk Cow Blues -- Goodbye Cruel World
  • United Steel Workers of Montreal -- Meaner Than You -- Kerosene & Coal *
  • Liz Phair -- Jealousy -- Whip Smart
  • The Donnas -- Not The One -- Spend the Night
  • Juliana Hatfield/Juliana's Pony -- Let's Get Married -- Total System Failure
  • Otis Redding -- These Arms of Mine -- Very Best of

Notes this week/Favourite lyrics:

  • The Vinaigrettes: "I think your bitterness after all these years is infantile/I thought by now you'd have got on with your life/I've got a life now that doesn't include heartache or you."
  • Lou Reed: "The ozone layer has no ozone anymore/And you're gonna leave me for the guy next door/ I'm sick of you."
  • Ben Folds: I know the standard B.F hate song is "Song For The Dumped" but this one resonated with me once during a nasty break-up so it wins this time around: "I know that you went straight to someone else/ While I worked through all this shit here by myself/ And I think that you should spend some time alone/ But if you won't/ Then you won't/ And I will consider you gone."
  • Blake Babies: This whole song is worth writing out but the fave lyric has got to be: "I know a liar/ His name is Cupid/ I may be dumb but I'm not stupid."
  • Stars: "I loved you the most/ You threw out the pieces."
  • The Reverend H.H: the best angsty break-up song ever probably: "BITCH! I want my 400 dollars/ I want my 400 dollars and I want it right now/ Give it to me!"
  • Bob Dylan: "Yes, I wish that for just one time/ You could stand inside my shoes/ You'd know what a drag it is/ To see you."
  • Camera Obscura: "Sick of the sight of my old lover/ Went under sheets and covers to get away from him."
  • Adam Green: Nothing says love quite like this: "It don't mean I don't love you/ When I put a gun to your face."
  • The Replacements: "How do you say I miss you to/An answering machine?/How do you say good night to/An answering machine?/How do you say I'm lonely to/An answering machine?/The message is very plain/Oh, I hate your answering machine."
  • Ani Difranco: "I hate to say it but/ you're perfect together/So fuck you/and your untouchable face/And fuck you/for existing in the first place/And who am I/that I should be vying for your touch/And who am I/Ibet you can't even tell me that much."
  • Neko, perfect perfect Neko: "So go ahead with all your sweet talkin'/Go ahead for all the good it can do/Have yourself a dime's worth of talkin'/Then I'm gonna hang right up on you."
  • Elvis Costello: "You like coffee and you like tea/ Much more than you like me."
  • Liz Phair: "I can't believe you had a life before me" followed later by "I saw hips, I saw thighs/ I saw secret positions that we never try/ I saw jealousy."
  • The Donnas: Again, a great hate song for so many reasons but here's some gems: "No, I don't want your eggs & bacon/And when I kissed you, I was fakin'!" and "I thought you were The One/But baby, you're no fun!" and "You were hot till you took off your shirt/So skinny babe makes my eyes hurt." and "There's somethin' missin' in your head/And I've got no room for you in my bed!"
  • Juliana Hatfield: "Fight over dinner/ Put on weight/ If you change your sweatpants/ I'll shave my legs."
  • Otis Redding: the love song for the night and dedicated to Marc -- the first song we ever danced to and what we danced to alone in our living room after our garden wedding.

1 comment:

kaili said...

I LOVE it! We need to put our heads together to come up with a definitive cousin mix - we could do some serious musical damage!

Also - if I could suggest a song for next year - the Rev HH's Galaxy 500...an excellent break up song!