Wednesday, February 20, 2008

eagle vs shark


Marc rented Eagle vs Shark for us and we watched it last night and even though this movie came out in 2007, I am still saying I have another entry for my fave movie of 2008. Your basic nerds finding love story centered around scheduling a school yard fight with an old high school bully, this movie was the funniest and also the most simultaneously charming and awkward movie I've seen in a long while. It also has my new favourite movie love scene and some really outstanding static shots -- our favourite being Lily in her shark costume battling some guy in a horse outfit in the "Fightman" championship. Marc wants that shot to be his new computer desktop -- very "Royal Tenenbaums-esque" in its look and colours. This movie just made me happy for so many reasons but I gotta say I love the deadpan comedic delivery. It's a big part of the reason I love Wes Anderson movies. This movie is almost a "how to" in that regard. Think a Napoleon Dynamite nerd factor but add in it actually being funny with a real storyline and that's kinda what you have here. Plus you've got Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords who I think is just hilarious. Top scores in my book for sure. It also makes me kinda want to have a "Come as Your Favourite Animal" party...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't read this! I so want to see this movie, especially after watching season 1 of FOC over the summer. So funny!!! So I'm skipping this post!

Anonymous said...

Crap! I bought this DVD awhile back and could have lent it to you. I loved the apple stuff too - one rotten inside, one eaten to the core. So lovely! I found it a bit slow at the beginning but the last half totally redeemed it. I got a bit teary during the fight scene, it was so perfect.