Wednesday, February 20, 2008

gommfest d'hiver!

As promised, Gommfest d'Hiver/Winter Gommfest this past weekend deserves its own post, that's how good it was. Out we trekked to Rock Lake on Saturday to the family camp of Miss Gomm for winter fun on a glorious winter day. We even pulled our goodies in on a sled -- always a good start to winter fun!

We hung out around an outdoor fire and drank Miss Gomm's homemade hot buttered rum --wha?!?! That's right --how winter fun is that? I wanted to climb inside my mug and sit in it. I also rediscovered snowshoeing. My only memories of snowshoeing are from elementary school when we were dragged out snowshoeing once a week in the winter. Now, keep in mind I didn't break 5 feet until high school so you can only imagine how small I was in elementary school. Due to my extreme wee-ness, I was doomed never to have a pair of snowshoes even close to my size and therefore spent every outing walking with my legs splayed out barely being able to lift them out of the snow. Of course, nobody seemed to notice/care that this was a bad situation and I was sentenced to many winters falling all over the schoolyard, hating every second of it. Well, all that has changed my friends. All thanks to Mike and Jocelyne and their swanky new snowshoes! Joc let me try hers and I gotta say -- SO much fun! These are not at all the shoes I remember. God bless these new smaller, lighter models! It's like walking on the sidewalk. I'm now completely considering picking up a pair -- I hate walking in deep snow and this way Marc might stand half a chance of getting me out into the bush more in the winter.

Post snowshoeing brought us to food! Ahhh the food!! We stuffed our faces on tasty snacks (avocado rolls -- YUM!) and Miss Gomm made a giant batch of squash and carrot soup that was so delicious. Pair that with oven sammiches and you've got a winter camp dinner fit for a king. I tried a fun experiement and trekked to Gommfest with our slow cooker for dessert -- that's how committed I am to my slow coooker. I brought it out into the bush! January's dessert of the month in Martha Stewart's Living mag was a Spiced Chocolate Bread Pudding that I adapted to our slow cooker instead of individual servings. Oh. My. God. Was it ever the dessert of dessert!!!! Red chilis, dark chocolate, booze, eggs, cream and homemade challah bread = head exploding levels of good. The recipe isn't posted on her website yet but I'll type it up into another post for you all to try. It makes tons though so best to make it for a group. Or just for you if you like -- you're the boss of you.

Post face stuffing brought us to the pasta sculpture contest and although we declared the winner to be group creativity -- I think our team's was pretty kick-ass. We made a pasta banjo. Life size. And playable. Ok, maybe not playable but still pretty impressive. Good times for sure.
Thanks to Miss Gomm for again welcoming us to Camp Gomm!! Below is a sampling of pics from the day o'fun.
1. Camp Gomm in the sun....like a postcard
2. The boys augering for water...so tough.
3. Post-auger Caesar in a can.
4. Gypsy: dog of the day
5. Jocey and Gypsy having a snow romp.
6. Marc and hot buttered rum cheers!
7. Mike and Joc hot buttered rum cheers!
8. Marc and I.
9. My team hard at work on our pasta banjo.
10. Our opponent's entry: Rock Lake championship trout.
11. The ladies' entry: the Brooklyn bridge complete with giant Pasta Alison that we did for extra credit (note the pasta boobs).
12. Pastalison and the real Alison.
13. Marc and our amazing pasta banjo.
14. Marc and Camp Gomm's Pleasant the pheasant.

No comments: