Thursday, February 7, 2008

bookmootch

Pal Jocelyne told me about this super great website that although I'm physically prevented from using it, I still think is pretty great. The deal with Bookmootch is that you can create a wishlist of books you want to read and if other members on the site have that book they can send it to you. Conversely you can also publish a list of books you have that people can mootch from. You get points for sending out books which you can then "spend" on mootching books from others. More points are given for sending books out of your own country to compensate for increased shipping costs (there's no fee for joining, you only pay to ship the book). Basically it can help you get rid of all those books you've already read. Which is precisely why I could never join. I'm a hoarder by nature and therefore can never part with any of my books. I still have all of my old university textbooks and although I'll never read them, I'm compelled to forever keep them. Even if I read a book and hated it, I have to keep it. It's not right at all and I fully realize that but that's the way it is. And with Bookmootch, you can't simply forever mootch books (which would be ideal for me). For every 5 books you mootch you must give one of your own away. If you like, you can even spend your Bookmootch points on charity! How's that for great? All in all, I think this is a great service. Just one I'm physically prevented from ever using...

1 comment:

Tania said...

question: how do you create a page like yours? I want one! lol =]