Sunday, January 27, 2008

weekend round-up

I think this weekend really just helped to plan for next weekend. Meaning, next weekend I don't think we're going to leave the house. Once again we fell victim to a full and complete night at the Townehouse. This was the second weekend in a row and I think I'm officially too old for that kind of nonsense. But more on that later...
Friday night's plans were a initially ruined but quickly fixed. The plan was to check out the Banff Mountain Film Festival with the folks but waiting until the last minute to get tickets proved not to be the best strategy. Sold out! As if! Too bad for us. Instead we all went for a lovely dinner at Simon's and then out to see Juno which was just all kinds of lovely (see following movie review post).
Saturday was the Habitat For Humanity fundraiser at the Townehouse. Over the last few months Marc's been playing with a couple of gals and Saturday was their first official gig. It was the first time ever on stage for the ladies so they were plenty nervous but it turned out pretty great. They call themselves Jean Wells and it's mostly original material from Melissa and Jenny with a couple of covers thrown in for good measure. After seeing them, I think Jenny might actually have been the secret long-lost member of Plumtree. Her writing is so dead-on poppy it's a bit scary. And Melissa, well she's just pure folky goodness. It was a lot of fun and of course, I always like a chance to see Marc play. It's been forever and it's good to see him pick up this gig. I have no pictures but I'll try and track some done. The ladies are so adorable I just wanted to put them in my pocket. It was a great crowd and piles of money for HFH was made. Of course, one thing led to another and before we knew it it was well past an acceptable bedtime. Another fun/not actually fun at all aspect was me being the sober driver in a very large group of very drunk people. You know what I'm talking about. When everyone else thinks everything is SO funny and you do not? Then you get stuck with the dreaded job of "stuff watcher" and spend large chunks of the night watching an empty table? Good times.
As a result of yet another weekend night gone awry, Sunday we slept in and then took a nap almost immediately after breakfast and morning coffee. Oh yeah, one of those mornings. It's reached the point for me where staying up super late, alcohol or no alchohol, results in the exact same morning after state. I almost think I should just drink my face off since I wake up feeling like I did anyway. Thank god for Sunday matinees, the cure-all (again refer to movie review post). Best to follow them immediately with a casual family dinner sans children. Thank god for my mother-in-law Gemma and her homemade lasagna. I don't think I've ever seen my Dad happier than he is when it's "dinner at Gemma's" night. You can almost see tiny tears forming in the corners of his eyes...

No comments: