Monday, January 14, 2008

talk about an upset...

Did anyone have the pleasure/pain of seeing the Golden Globes lame-o press conference last night?  Wow.....it was all kinds of bad.  I am a sucker for glitzy awards show -- I fully admit it.  I love the dresses, who looks ridiculous and who looks drunk - I love it all.  The fact that the Golden Globes has booze makes it all that much more worth watching (remember George Clooney's drunken acceptance speech a few years ago?).  Of course because of the writers' strike we got a sterile reading of the winners' names by Hollywood gossip mongers Billy Bush and Nancy O'Dell.  Of course it was super boring.  On the plus side though was the icy, icy repertoire between Billy and Nancy.  I don't know what happened before they went on-air but someone must have been bitch-slapped because those 2 were NOT enjoying each other's company one bit; adding quite a delicious edge to the between awards banter.  It went something like this:

Billy: Wow that was quite an upset with Marion Cotillard winning over favourite Ellen Page.
Nancy: Really?  You think so?  I think you're wrong and stupid.  Marion Cotillard was clearly the best choice.
Billy: Well clearly people are meant to disagree Nancy. By the way you look like Gerard Depardieu in that dress.
Nancy:  I hate you.
Billy: I'm going to kill your whole family.

So for a celebrity trash lover like me, it was worth watching just to see if they would make it through the whole telecast without shivving each other.  But in all seriousness, there were some huge surprises, at least for me anyway.  Here are my notes for the night:
  • Too bad for anyone nominated for anything against Daniel Day Lewis: he's perfect in every way so you should just forget they ever said your name;
  • Julie Christie:  As I've said a million times, Away From Her is so good it hurts.  Normally I'd be all about the Cate Blanchett but in this case it's all Julie all the time (take that Keira Knightley -- go learn how to be a real actress with your sour lemon face)
  • Marion Cotillard!  What an upset!  You go french lady (even though all us Canadians wanted the nice girl from Halifax to win).
  • Julian Schnable over the Coen Brothers?  And Tim Burton? And Ridley Scott?  Who the freak is this guy???
  • Mad Men??  Who is watching this show anyway?  It better be great for it to beat out the Tudors in my book.  Not to mention John Hamm beating out Michael C. Hall and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers;
  • David Duchovny over Alec Baldwin and Steve Carrell?? And over anyone else in this category??  Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this guy is mega annoying...
  • Yay for Tina Fey!!  Bad news for Dennis is that he didn't get to see her walk the red carpet in a tight dress....
And that's about it for my thoughts.  If the Oscars get cancelled I'll be sad.  I'm on side with the writers but I also need a girly red carpet once in awhile too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should check out Mad Men, it's beautifully shot and clever. I really think you'd come around to it.