Tuesday, April 22, 2008

talk about flushing away money...

In honour of Earth Day let's talk toilets. Say what you will, but in our house we follow the "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" rule. When we remodel our bathroom we'll get those new fangled European-like toilets with the 2 flush options but in the meantime, that's what we do. We've been following that rhyme for about a year now and here's some interesting notes. According to our water bill, we're using half the water we were using this time last year. Half the water!!! Just because of that! Friends of ours have been doing this for even longer and went so far as to keep a tracker in their bathroom, making a note on the page every time they didn't flush. They also have an older toilet so every time they didn't flush saved them about 4 gallons of water. Add up the number of times 2 people in a household take a non-flushable #1 and you're saving like 30 gallons of water in one day!  That's insanity!  

Bottom line - cutting our water bill in half is fine by me.

3 comments:

kaili said...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one! I'm always so worried when people come over, in case we've forgotten that not everyone else abides by that rule...And you've been brave enough to come out of the closet on it! ;)

kaili said...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one! I'm always so worried when people come over, in case we've forgotten that not everyone else abides by that rule...And you've been brave enough to come out of the closet on it! ;)

kaili said...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one! I'm always so worried when people come over, in case we've forgotten that not everyone else abides by that rule...And you've been brave enough to come out of the closet on it! ;)