Monday, April 7, 2008

healthier tara = good: week one

Well I made it through the toughest part of this whole thing and now all I have to do is keep on keeping on and it should be alright.  The first week is designed to get your kickstart your metabolism and pretty much kick your ass.  I did hardcore cardio and strength training every day last week (except for Wednesday cuz I was at work till about 10 -- but I did combine it with my Thursday workout so it's all good) and it just about levelled me.  Although I did feel better in general, I don't think my body has ever been more sore or more tired.  It's strange to feel both energized and wiped all at the same time.  Thankfully, that was the worst of it and week two presents a much more acceptable workout schedule that won't leave me crying myself to sleep.

On a whole though, it wasn't as awful as I was expecting it to be.  Menu-wise, I found it harder to actually remember to eat than anything else.  I'm not used to all those little meals and snacks and found myself an hour behind schedule on more than one occasion.  Thankfully, I never really felt like I was missing out on anything.  The meals were pretty kick ass and have actually inspired us to be more creative with future meals.  I've been wolfing down some of the best sidedishes we've ever made so there's no way I'm leaving them behind after all this is over.  I'm also consuming more fruits and vegetables than I probably ever have and that feels pretty good.  A lot of my tummy problems have been kicked to the curb too which I suspect has to be a direct result of a better diet.  Cooking has actually started to feel interesting and productive to me instead of this chore facing me at the end of the day.

Wish me luck for the rest of this whole silly process!  A big family function this weekend could prove a bit of a test as will a birthday lunch for a co-worker at Deluxe -- the happiest place on earth and my Achilles' heel.  Oh chicken-on-a-bun dinner -- why did they make you so perfect??

4 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

He-weasel and I loved your Moroccan salad. I will make it again. See, some of your good habits are rubbing off on me. And, I have had no ice cream.

Congrats on your success and for sharing your process and recipes with us. And, I wish you luck as you face temptation. Pack some of your delicious salad in your bag and sneak it on your plate---and you will be fine.

Anonymous said...

I'm just starting the same thing! I really need to lose 10 lbs. You sound like you are off to a great start!

tara said...

If someone could eat some Sunchips for me that would be great........mmmmm.....Sunchips.....

Jane Flanagan said...

I'm spring-cleaning my regime too. Have been going to a nutritionist and have lost 20lbs! And I'm not feeling deprived at all.

Week 3 was the hardest - when the novelty wore off and the goal seemed a long way out. Hang in there!