Tuesday, March 25, 2008

weekend round-up

Well if this glorious long weekend had a theme it was food, food and maybe some more food.  Happy Easter to all!  Hopefully we were all appropriately reverent and holy.  

Friday Marc and I pulled out all the stops and got all gourmet.  After cleaning the heck out of the house we rewarded ourselves with balsamic vinegar and fig cornish game hens, roasted asparagus and a white truffle risotto (made from the last of our truffle supplies from Italy...sigh).  Holy. Crap.  Talk about delicious.  I didn't even manage to get the hen stuck on my tiara (quick, guess the old movie reference).

Saturday we made homemade Panini all'Olio for Easter dinner at my folks' place.  We ate ourselves silly and had some good family fun.  If I couldn't have my mom's turkey ever again, I think I might do myself in.  There would be no reason for me to exist anymore.  Followed that by meeting our friend Ben and his lovely Aussie gal Fran and friends for cocktails even though I felt as though I had no more room for anything.

Sunday, up early for a giant Easter brunch at the Lakehouse.  Surprisingly, none of us felt like we had to eat at all after the previous night's pig-out.  No worries, we managed to plough through.  Home for the nap of the century and onwards to Marc's mom's place for, you guessed it, more food.   This time around, homemade Italian food.  For the record, Gemma is a phenomenal cook and I would cross the Pacific for her cannelloni, not to mention her tiramisu.  She made both.  I was happy.

As a result of this weekend's gluttony fest, we spent Monday digesting and dreading going back to work.  We still managed to continue the pig-out though as Marc made homemade butternut squash ravioli.  Mmmmm.......squash and ravioli.   Marc had the Jean Wells ladies over for a bit of a listening party in the evening --they've been doing a bit of recording here at the house and around so tonight was the first listen for the ladies (and Rob).  They're sounding really great and I'll be sure and put up the link to their MySpace when they get the new material posted.

This week, I'm in full on winter protest.  Mother Nature -- you can take this winter storm and shove it up your flowery butt!

4 comments:

richat said...

Was that a reference to a WONDERFUL old Peter Sellers movie by any chance?

tara said...

sweeeeeeeeeeet......best movie ever!

La Belette Rouge said...

Fig cornish game hens and white truffle risotto sounds amazing. I love the way you eat. What a delicious Easter you had.

tara said...

it's almost sad to think that it's over....all good food must come to an end.