Friday, March 28, 2008

bathroom basic




I saw this bathroom tonight over at Apartment Therapy (they are so on a role this week perhaps making up for the less than stellar content the last couple of weeks?) and immediately made a mental note of everything in it. We want to re-do our bathroom and this is pretty much exactly what I want. I know it's very white and very simple but it's very standard stuff for our 1920's house and I think would be a great contrast to all the colour in the rest of the house.

First off, I love subway tile. Always have, always will. They're simple, classic and well-suited to an older home.  I also love the hex floor although I would probably prefer a herringbone black and white tile like the original tile my parents have in their period home. I would probably paint the wall above the tile some fun colour so it's not all white. Currently our bathroom is painted an apple green and I suspect that colour might stick around - it's growing on me something fierce.  I also love the black tile accent detail. All over the traditional pedastal sink too with all the exposed plumbing and towel bars etc. Our bathroom is quite a bit larger than this but pretty much the same layout (except our toilet is behind the door and our shower is where their toilet is) so we're hoping to add in an antique clawfoot tub and an all-out lux shower big enough to live in. But in a nutshell, when you've got a big old house like ours, the tripped out modern bathrooms I just think are the wrong way to go. Traditional doesn't usually work for me but for me, in a bathroom it's a dream. This one's going on file for sure.

No comments: