Friday, March 14, 2008

sxsw: day 2

Holy crap.....music overload and it's only the second day! What kind of state am I going to be in by Monday??? So much goodness to report today but alas, no Texas BBQ just yet. But soon......soon.

Started off the day with the Lou Reed keynote interview. Man, I could listen to him all day. That low gravely voice.....so mesmerizing. He was low-key, witty and very Lou Reed...today was a good morning. Followed that with the Thurston Moore interviewing Steve Reich. Although it was interesting enough I couldn't help but wish it was the other way around. I was considerably more interested in Thurston but it'll do.


After that, the strangest of all panels. If you refer to the photo below you will see the following panelists from left to right: Matthew Caws from Nada Surf, Lisa Warden,music director for KROQ, David Wakeling from The English Beat, Karen Glauber, president of Hits magazine, dude from Superchunk and yes, that's right...all 3 Hanson boys. Hanson!! And I had no idea until they sat down and thought "hey look it's totally Hanson." So of course I took pictures.



From Hanson to Billy Bragg....wished his set was about 2 hours longer than the sad 25 minutes but we takes whats we can get.


On to the taping of Martha Wainwright's segment for SXSW Live. If you get DirectTV you should be able to see it. Look for me, I'm the girl in the black polka-dot dress. Not only was her set out of this world but guess who she invites up to sing a song??? Daniel Lanois!!! What a great moment. I took an illegal picture so excuse the blur.

Across the downtown for the best music we've seen this week so far, the NPR showcase including my newest fave good time rock band, The Whigs and the much loved by everyone Yo La Tengo and My Morning Jacket -- 2 bands I love and have never seen. The first thing I'm doing when I get home is listening to "And Then Everything Turned Itself Inside Out"again and again. It's been way too long. MMJ - astonishing isn't the right word. What a kick ass show they put on and I loved every minute we got of it despite having the sorest back ever from sitting on a step for 3 hours. But I took pictures and videos so it's all for the greater good.


Quick cab ride from the strangest man alive and a pitstop for the best pizza Austin has to offer apparently, Papparazzi Pizza. It lived up to the hype. Pizza in tummy at midnight = awesome. Off to Maggie Mays for a bizarre show by Montreal's Hot Spirits. I'm more than a little bit afraid of the lead singer. In a nutshell, she was stoned, spit and wasn't wearing any knickers under her mini-skirt. I tried not to look her directly in the eye. Thank god for the United Steel Workers of Montreal to make me forget it all. Fun, rowdy and just all around dirty bluegrass/hot rod country complete with fiery redheaded lead singer with pipes like Janis Joplin. I was enamoured with their CD at the radio station and I'm happy their live show met that standard.


Right now, yet another super duper late night -- almost 3Am and I'm still up. Tomorrow is supposed to be 30 degrees....that's hard to grasp for a Northern girl in March. On the schedule for tomorrow hopefully, The Lemonheads, Basia Bulat, Phantom Planet, Vampire Weekend, Thurston Moore, She and Him, The Sadies and the NXNE BBQ. Finally BBQ!!!

PS. I know I'm not linking to anyone -- it's cuz I have just no patience for that. Also, stay tuned for my facebook page for some videos and ALL the pictures.

No comments: