Sunday, March 16, 2008

sxsw: day 5

Technically, there was no SXSW today but I'm still counting it in my tally. Today was all about Austin fun and I think we did almost every touristy thing a person can do in this town and it kicked butt.



Started out the day at the Waffle House because you just have to at least once. From there we pretty much spent the whole day on South Congress -- what a great street that is. The epitome of what a great downtown culture is and I could have easily spent my week's paycheque in those stores. I managed to keep my pursestrings in check and still managed to fulfill all my souvenir needs. For Tara though, it was all about the cowboy boots. We went to Allan's Boots, which from the locals is THE place to do your boot shopping. If it's good enought for Sam Elliott it's good enough for me. No red boots for Tara though I'm afraid but I did score a great brown pair with some flowery embroidery that I love and didn't break the bank entirely. Just a bit.





Post boot shopping we hit happy hour at Mars which is just a great place to chill and have dinner (Note to La Belette: this is a place you can get dressed up and go to for sure - it's at SoCo and Gibson). It's gorgeously designed and the food kicked ass.

Then, no word of a lie, we passed a park where a woman on a blanket had about 8 black lab puppies. My head almost exploded as we played with all of them, narrowly avoiding puppy overload. I miss Bailey so much it hurts!

More shopping and then Mexican dinner at Guero's and we were like stuffed pigs being rolled down the road. Thankfully we had just enough time to hoof it down to the SoCo bridge in time to see the bats!!!! I was SO happy we got to do this before we left. It's the largest urban bat colony in the world and just after sunset they all emerge from under the bridge and it was very, very cool. I took a million videos and I'll put them all on my Facebook page but I'm going to post all my videos here next week so be sure and check back.




Tomorrow back on the dawn rise time and we fly home. Austin you've been great and next year will be even better!! I'm pumped to get home. I miss my bed, my house, my dog and my husband so much I can hardly breathe. As far as what else I've done here is concerned -- I'm blaming Texas.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

hardly seems fair to Texas.