Saturday, March 8, 2008

Hot Bunny Radio Playlist for March 6th: Ain't No Roosters in the Henhouse

CKLU 96.7 FM
* denotes Canadian talent
italics denotes a new release
In honour of International Women's Day this week's show was our annual tribute to all things chicks.  Girl groups, girl singers and all around girl greatness.  This is a collection of some of my faves.
  • Wanda Jackson -- Making Believe -- Big City Kelly mix
  • Nanci Griffith -- Trouble in the Fields -- One Fair Summer Evening (vinyl)
  • Plumtree -- Shoot to Scoop - Mass Teen Fainting *
  • Feist -- Gatekeeper -- Let It Die *
  • Emmylou Harris -- Every Grain of Sand -- Wrecking Ball
  • Maow -- Wank -- The Unforgiving Sounds of... *
  • Gillian Welch -- No One Knows My Name -- Soul Journey
  • The Pretenders -- Back on the Chain Gang -- Learning to Crawl (vinyl)
  • Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton -- The Last Page -- Knives Don't Have Your Back *
  • Joni Mitchell -- River -- Blue (vinyl) *
  • Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins -- You Are What You Love -- Rabbit Fur Coat
  • Julie Doiron -- It's Okay to Stare -- Heart & Crime *
  • Bonnie Raitt -- Guilty -- Takin My Time (vinyl)
  • Juliana Hatfield -- Forever Baby -- Hey Babe
  • The Pipettes -- Dance & Boogie -- We Are The Pipettes
  • Nancy Sinatra -- How Does That Grab You Darlin' -- How Does That Grab You Darlin' (vinyl)
  • Bjork -- Army of Me -- Post
  • Liz Phair -- Stratford-on-Guy -- Exile in Guyville
  • Cat Power -- Lord, Help the Poor and Needy -- Jukebox
  • Ronnie Spector -- Don't Worry Baby -- She Talks to Rainbows
  • Kitty Wells -- Welcome to My World -- 25 Famous Country & Western Hits (vinyl)
  • Neko Case -- Poor Ellen Smith -- Canadian Amp*
  • Sarah Harmer -- I Am Aglow -- I'm A Mountain *
  • Aretha Franklin -- Baby, I Love You -- Greatest Hits (vinyl)
  • Michelle Shocked -- 5 AM in Amsterdam -- The Texas Campfire Tapes
  • Lucinda Williams -- Concrete & Barbed Wire -- Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
  • Billie Holiday -- I'll Get By -- Strange Fruit
  • Tanya Donelly -- World on Fire -- This Hungry Life
  • Nina Simone -- Trouble in Mind -- Essentials
  • Loretta Lynn -- The Devil Gets His Dues -- Don't Come Home a Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind) (vinyl)
  • Rebekah Higgs -- My Feet -- Rebekah Higgs *
  • Basia Bulat -- Before I Knew -- Oh, My Darlin *
  • Patsy Cline -- Foolin' Round -- Patsy Cline Story
  • Lynn Miles -- 1000 Lovers -- Love Sweet Love *
  • The Breeders -- Drivin' on 9 -- Last Splash
Notes this week:
  • Mass Teen Fainting is my favourite album title of all time;
  • The Pretenders: I know it's not a girl group but Chrissy Hynde writes all the songs and there's just not many chicks cooler than her;
  • Bonnie Raitt: listen to that song and feel bad about something you didn't even do;
  • Juliana Hatfield's Hey Babe record: Try and tell me this record didn't change your 15 year old life forever;
  • H.D.G.Y.D: my favourite Nancy Sinatra song ever and easily in my top 10 fave songs of all time.  I want to learn to play the trumpet just so I could play on this song;
  • Think you're cooler than Ronnie Spector?  Are you the only vocalist ever to be backed up by all 4 Beatles?  Did Brian Wilson write "Don't Worry Baby" for you specifically?  I didn't think so...
  • My Loretta Lynn record is autographed.  That's cool;
  • I have more than a little crush on Basia Bulat and she's playing at SXSW;
  • My friend Vince put that Lynn Miles song on a birthday CD for me and I can't stop listening to it;
  • The Breeders get to end the show because Kim and Kelly Deal are the official holders of the "Most Awesomest Sisters in Rock" title. 

3 comments:

kaili said...

EXCELLENT playlist my dear - and I love love love that you included Plumtree on there. I just had a Grade 10 moment in my office imagining them "my my my my my mama..."

kelly said...

A fantastic playlist indeed - and I love that you kicked it off with the Wanda Jackson song from that mix I made you! *sheds tear* She's the coolest.

And that Ronnie Spector EP is one of my favourite albums of all time. Besides my sworn love for 'Don't Worry Baby', her duet with Joey Ramone and her Johnny Thunders cover bring tears to my eyes every time. Sublime.

tara said...

you can't do a chick list without Plumtree -- my "snap your fingers to reunity fantasy" band. It's just not right