Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Playing the west wind...


Something else that I learned while watching Lust, Caution the other night -- I must finally learn to properly play Mahjong and I absolutely must have one of those gorgeous Mahjong sets. I feel as though I've been obsessed with Majong forever and have been forced to only enjoy the awful Mahjong rip-off that comes on most computers. And I love that awful rip-off game!! And it feels so wrong!! Lust, Caution has some spellbinding Mahjong sequences and I don't know how much of that is the game itself or the stunning cinematography of Ang Lee. I'm afraid that it's going to be terribly hard to play but I still so desperately covet a Mahjong set of my very own. I can see myself being like I was when I was a little kid playing with my grandpa's cribbage board -- I had no idea how to play but it was just so nice to look at I couldn't help but take all the pieces out to look at them.

I know almost nothing about the game except that a set can run you about $200 and they are as much a decorative piece as much as they are a game board. Am I ready to make that kind of commitment to a game I don't even know how to play?? I so desperately want to be cuz I so desperately want of those amazing sets of my very own!

If only I knew 3 more people who shared my obsession....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about quality versions of games. One of the reasons I love playing backgammon is the feel of the discs in my hand. We have a medium quality game in a carrying case that MBL covets. Maybe I'll leave it to him in my will.
Yvonne Mulroy

Anonymous said...

I aswell love a good game of computer Mahjong!! Infact, I was playing when I went into labour with Drew... When you get that beautiful (real life) game, I'll challenge you to a game over wine.

Paula Hodgins