Saturday, September 15, 2007

Cinefest

So tonight marks the start of the Cinefest International Film Festival here in Sudbury. For me, that means busy days between the theatre and the office, late nights, a couple of parties some being stuffy some being fun, sore bums from spending way too much time in movie theatres and sore feet from spending way too much time standing around at the parties afterwards and piles of schmoozing. I know, I shouldn't complain. It could be a heck of a lot worse. Lord knows I'm not digging ditches here. But is actually way more tiring than it sounds. For those of you who've never been, I highly recommend checking it out if you're ever in the neighbourhood. It's Canada's 4th largest film festival after all. The lineup looks good this year too. Here are some movies I'm jazzed about seeing:

Shake Hands With the Devil: the movie based on General Dallaire's book.
Lust, Caution: Ang Lee's new film. I hear it's dirty and most likely beautifully shot.
Run, Fat Boy, Run: Yes it's directed by David Schwimmer but it's a British film and has both Simon Pegg and Hank Azaria in it.
The Boss of it All: it's a Danish film about a guy who has to produce the boss he's been making up for years.
My Kid Could Paint That: the story of Marla Olmstead, the 4 year old whose paintings are compared to the great expressionists.
The Stone Angel: because I love Ellen Burstyn
The Walker: because I love Kristen Scott Thomas and Willem Dafoe
Wierdsville: Allan Moyle's new film
Anything from the Denys Arcand tribute
Les Chansons D'Amour: a story about Paris' well-off youth and relationships and all that girly stuff.
The Golden Door (Nuovomondo): an Italian film about a Sicilian family that moves to America in search of success.
Just Like Home: (Hjemve): A Danish film about a group of people trying to keep their small town together.
La Vie en Rose A French film about the life of Edith Piaf.
Netherbeast Incorporated: Dave Foley -- need I say more?

Other than that, there's also some great documentaries, short film series and films from Northern Ontario artists that will help fill out the rest of my week.

I'm busting out my larger purse and stuffing it with granola bars, PB&J sandwiches etc that way I don't have to eat movie theatre food for a week.

Wish me (and my bum) luck!

No comments: