Monday, November 19, 2007

Weekend round-up

This was a weekend of good old-fashioned family fun and watching Marc work on the house (which seems to be becoming a standard weekend activity). Friday I was thinking ahead and stopped at the Boulangerie before leaving work and bought an amazing Pane di Pomodoro (which we ate grilled and spread with ricotta cheese, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar as our Saturday snack) and 2 perfect tiramisu in gorgeous little pastry tulips (which we ate late Friday night). We made the final arrangements for our treadmill (yay!) and followed it up with a mediocre greek dinner at Stelio's. I doubt I'll ever go back. Talk about a time warp...

Saturday we decided to make use of Bailey's new painfully early morning routine and go out for a nice breakfast and kick the day in the face. Marc made me rake again which is always no fun but at least now it's all done and I don't have to rake again for 365 more days. Saturday was also the Santa Claus Parade which means our annual little office family party since the parade happens to go right by our office windows. I'll blog about it separately cuz there are cute pictures of the kids waving out the windows and being adorable. Big thanks to my mom who brought enough food for an army, Dennis for the space and thanks to Marc for surprising me with boozy coffee he made secretly at home and for the flask of Fireball he hid in his coat pocket. There were friends, family, puppies, babies and food and it was a great time. Post parade we headed home and I made my now famous specialty hot chocolate and we watched Reign Over Me on payperview. I have to say, I really liked that movie. It was poignant and touching, the best thing Adam Sandler has and will ever do and had an impeccable soundtrack right up until the credits started to role when they wrecked it all. I did not like Jada Pinkett Smith and her seemingly pointless storyline though -- every scene she was doling out life advice while performing mundane kitchen tasks. Other than that, for anyone who's ever had the bottom fall out of their life (although the scale in the film is much greater), you can completely relate to the urge to not want to see anyone who knew you "before." Sometimes the appeal of strangers can be irresistable. Overall, good film with an opening sequence so gorgeous you want to watch it over and over.

Sunday, we hit the cross-country ski trails with my parents early in the morning and tired out the puppies and then went for yummy breakfast #2 of the weekend. Followed by some Xmas shopping with my mom, a kick-ass nap in the afternoon, a fantastic dinner of chicken cacciatore on baked polenta, new Simpsons and Family Guy, finished my book and fell asleep faster than you can say pillow.

Monday started with a runaway dog AND a 9:30am meeting with FedNor??? And a flu shot???? This week better start picking up...

1 comment:

Dennis said...

No shit eh? Today was not once fun, at all. I really hated today....