Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Weekend round-up: One Great City!

Phew!! I'm almost too tired to even write this blog entry! What a weekend! As mentioned last week, I spent the weekend in Ottawa for both a family party and a Weakerthans concert and some general hanging-out-itude with my cousin Kaili and her husband Lawrence. Boy did we ever do that and then some! This is going to be a blog-post heavily laden with photos, videos and lots of explanation so don't say I didn't warn you.
Friday I only worked part of the day so that we could get an early start on the drive and of course, all hell decided to break loose giving me a less than cool start to my fun weekend. Last minute packing, picking up our housewarming gift for the cuz, grocery getting and booze getting and then on the road! Many hours later we crashed Kaili and LB's party safely in Ottawa. The night carried on and then someone had the bright idea to open another bottle of wine at 2am. That was definitely a bad idea resulting in an extremely painful Saturday morning.


Saturday Marc, Kaili and I started out into the world of party planning while LB bravely went to work at some ungodly hour while we were all still sleeping off the drunk. You're a brave soldier LB. We braved the Ottawa Costco and I feared for my life. I thought someone was going to try and steal my kidney and put it in their huge cart. Party-time itself was quite fun -- it was a surprise party for my aunt's 65th birthday. She really had no idea about the party and was so cute and happy and wore her B-day tiara like a good party-goer.

Sunday was thankfully way less hectic and we probably could not have done lovelier things. We had a lazy morning with the best pumpkin scones ever from some crazy Ottawa scone place. Holy mama they were good. Clean and fresh-faced, we headed ut into the world. We shopped for pretty things, bought some of them, loaded up on yummies from the market and spent hours in Nicastro's oogling over the cheeses and general Italian greatness. We ate sandwiches as big as our heads and seriously considered just moving right into Nicastro's and never leaving. Post face-stuffing, we headed over to see The Darjeeling Ltd (grocery laden wagon and all). What a stunning film. No they can't all be Rushmore but even Wes Anderson's lesser films are still better than most films out there period. That man sure knows how to find a good cinematographer and stick with it. It was beautiful to look at, was impecably scored with music from Indian films, and was heartbreaking and hilarious all at the same time. It was also nice to realize not only does Natalie Portman have my exact haircut but that under all her clothes, Natalie Portman has cellulite like the rest of us. She's not perfect!!! Redemption!! If you have a luggage addiction -- this is also the film for you.

Sunday night is almost too good to even talk about. We saw The Weakerthans and all was right with the world. In all my years of seeing them live, this was the first time I've seen them indoors. One of Canada's greatest bands, these guys have never, ever disappointed live. Marc said last night that unlike some concerts when during the last few songs you kind of want it to be over and you start thinking about leaving, that never happens with the Weakerthans. You never want it to be over. They suck you into this world of sadness and nostalgia for old friends, old lovers and old cities, your chest hurts and you never want it to end. Oh Weakerthans, how do you do it?? We laughed, we cried and we bought merch. AND Jenn Grant opened for them who I love and am thrilled I got a chance to see her since I missed her Sudbury show. Tinkly piano and a squeaky girl voice? I never stood a chance....

Here are some highlights of the evening. First we have an illegal video of "Virtute the Cat Explains Her Departure" the saddest song in the history of time (on a side note, much to the dismay of many it's actually pronounced 'ver-two-tay' and is taken from the latin motto from the city of Winnipeg 'Unum Cum Virtute Multorum' and means "one with the strength of many" --just a little bit of musical trivia for you). The black thing swaying in and out of the shot is the big stupid head of Mr. Sensitive Ponytail Man who almost wrecked the show for everyone. You know the guy. He's at every concert.




Here's a picture of Kaili and "the other man" John K. Samson. Don't worry Kaili, your secret is safe with me.
And here's just some general shots of the band (yes that's Jim Bryson playing with them!). I'll post all of them (and all the videos) over on my Facebook page for those who are interested.



All in all, a great weekend with great hospitality from our Ottawa family. Monday was all about breakfast at Stoneface Dolly's (much thanks brown molasses french toast for being so yummy) and a painfully long drive home. Thanks to The Bean Cafe in Deep River for the cappucino that saved my life and a big thumbs-down for whoever ordered the rain in time for our drive home.

3 comments:

Dennis said...

I can't believe you didn't mention The Darjeeling Ltd!!!!

kaili said...

I'm so glad that you posted those pics and videos, and even gladder that you guys came!!!! Thanks for everything, including our first housewarming gift!!!!
Go team family!

tara said...

I didn't want to make it any worse for you....and I also just forgot.