Friday, August 21, 2009

away we go

We went to see Away We Go the other night and somebody I knew told me a few days ago how terrible it was and how the best part of the movie was how much he learned about the architecture of the theatre itself.

He was wrong. SO wrong.

This movie is sweet and hopeful, heartbreakingly sad at points and side-splittingly funny at others. It's a really, really lovely film.

It's Sam Mendes so of course it's perfectly lit and shot but aside from that, the spectacular cast really made this really simple story leap to life. Allison Janney plays one of the funniest roles I've seen her in since she did Drop Dead Gorgeous (another highly underrated comedy) and I am always happy to see Melanie Lynskey in anything (Heavenly Creatures right? Brilliant!). She did a wordless scene that brought tears to my eyes and made my heart hurt.

This movie made me happy I go to sleep next to somebody at night.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you this movie is bad. It is just lovely lovely lovely.

No comments: