Monday, August 18, 2008

weekend round-up

The weekend started on Thursday night as we headed to the Townhouse to catch Rock Plaza Central on their way through town. We saw them last year at Hillside and were the total sleeper hit of the weekend for us and completely warranted going out on a school night.

Friday, sweet sweet Friday. Onwards to Cafe Korea where I introduced Marc to the genius and wonder that is Korean BBQ. The last time I had it I was actually in Korea and while this wasn't as good, it was still pretty freakin' good. We. Pigged. Out. When we got home we actually had to change our clothes because every single part of us smelled like BBQ. We stocked up on piles of Asian groceries while were there and pretty much spent the rest of the night sprawled on the couch, watching the Olympics taking turns saying "ohhh I ate too much BBQ......."

Saturday brought (gasp!) more sunny warm weather!!! A weekend without rain?? What language are you speaking?? It was so glorious and we tried to soak in some much needed vitamin D while it lasted. Finished off the day with a dinner at my folks with my aunt and grandfather and yes, more Olympics! I've got the fever and I've got it bad. Post dinner we headed back to the Townehouse for Marc's gig with the Saltcoats. They played a great show but more importantly -- I got hit on by an awfully cute but awfully young boy. He came to sit at my table and invited me to a party at "his buddy's" house. I figured from the use of term "buddy" that he couldn't have been any older than 24. I politely declined and fought the urge to pat him on the head and 1) thank him for hitting on my old married self and 2) tell him to be on his little way. Marc asked me if I told him I was married. I did not.

Sunday, despite being out till just shy of 4 A.M we still were cursed with an 8:30 A.M awakening. Why is that?? Why is it that now that I'm older it doesn't matter what time I go to bed, I still get up far too early? Boo!! Thankfully we are Mina-sitting for my parents so I drowned my sorrows in her furry puppy neck for the entire day and fed my Olympic fever. Even more interesting that that is our first attempt at pulled pork sandwiches!!!! I've had a craving for about 2 months now and decided that enough was enough and at 9 in the morning we dropped it into the slow cooker with an amazing homemade sauce and let it go all day. By the time our friends Ben and Fran came to dinner the entire house smelled like Texas and the result was mouth-watering. Safe to say that our first attempt was a success of the monumental variety. I would like to make this every single day and will post the recipe tomorrow. I actually thought for a moment how nice it would be to cancel dinner and just eat it all myself. Pulled pork is my secret lover. I'm thinking of leaving Marc for this pulled pork.

On a fun Olympic related sidenote: our Aussie friend Fran has a friend who is an Olympic fencer in Beijing this year!! Go Aussies!! Unless you're fighting a Canadian!!!

1 comment:

kelly said...

Two things.

One - I am happy (but also a little jealous) that you finally got your pulled pork. It still pains me a bit to remember our bitter disappointment when we discovered that there was, in fact, no pulled pork guy at Hillside, despite advertising to the contrary.

And two - I am happy (but also a little more jealous) that you got hit on by a cute boy at the TH. The only boys that hit on me these days are delivery guys in the 7-11 parking lot and random creepies who sidle up to me at the bus stop and ask if I'd rather get a ride instead of taking the bus.

(not only did those two examples really happen, by the way, but they both happened within two days of each other last week. try not to be too jealous!)

So basically, the sweet, adoring part of me is happy that these two lovely things happened to you, as you so deserve such happiness. The rest of me pretty much just hates you.