Wednesday, September 3, 2008

must I?

So with fall fast approaching, seems the blog talk lately has focussed on the fall "must-haves" for your wardrobe. Refinery29 recently added their take to the mix and I gotta say, I am not on board at all with most of it. If this is the trend, I plan on being very un-trendy this fall, with a few exceptions.

Here are their picks:


Zip Front Dress

Absolutely not. I am not a hooker and cannot separate the zip-front dress from that mental image.

Full Miniskirt

Unlikely. Beside the fact that this would look supremely stupid on me I just don't like it. I'll take a knee-length full skirt any day.

The rolled jean

Just because Katie Holmes wore this look for a week straight doesn't make it right. Besides, she looked like ass in it and that should say something. Just buy pants that fit you.

Slouch Blazer

This is another absolutely not for me. And a HUGE one to boot. I think I had that first blazer in 9th grade and I do not wish to relive it.

Ankle Length Trousers

No. Especially not that middle pair.

Floral Dresses

This is one I can live with. You can stay.

Pops of Orange

This one too -- although I hate all 3 of their suggested outfits.

Leather Pants

You would have to hold me down and drug me to get me to wear leather pants out of the house. I am not my 55 year old neighbour.

Plaid Jackets

This one can stay too -- but only in a super cute peacoat style.

Leather Jackets

I can get on board with this but only in moderation. That 3rd picture is pretty great.

Denim Shorts

This might be mainly a geographical thing but under no circumstances am I wearing denim shorts in a Northern Ontario fall. I do pretty much hate them all year long though. Look at that poor girl in the middle -- she knows she looks stupid and she's sad.

Plaid Shirts


Again, this one walks a fine line. Absolutely not the first one but the last two are alright. I'll wear a plaid shirt if it's close cut and fitted and cute -- not slouchy and dad-like. I've lived through that once already and am happy to let that go. Unless I'm raking leaves or hauling firewood. Us Canadians know how to really wear a plaid shirt...



So that's that -- mostly a thumbs down. I'll take Kaili's completely acceptable fall must-have's please and thank you.

2 comments:

kelly said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one... I've really been hating most of the trends I'm seeing for fall. Though I do love my leather jackets, and practically live in them in that five-minute time span between "wow, it's sweltering out" and "holy cow, my eyelashes are frozen."

I also hear pleated pants are big for fall, ugh. Next time I see you, maybe we can go out wearing our pleated, rolled jeans and pretend it's 1988 again!

La Belette Rouge said...

I am eschewing the zip dress, mini-skirt, rolled jeans, slouch blazer, leather and the plaid. But, I am soooo doing the orange!!
Great post, Tara!!