Sunday, May 25, 2008

utah

R.I.P Utah Phillips who passed away on Saturday at age 73 at his home in Nevada after a long fought illness. Legendary folksinger, storyteller and tireless supporter of the working people, his influence on American folk music will not soon be forgotten.

"I tried to leave behind permanent structures for this music and this community, and I tried to leave behind an attitude that we're all part of a larger community, and that there's a whole lot of sharing that can go on. What I was looking for was a feeling of fellowship, of loyalty for the people who were keeping these places alive, putting food in my mouth, helping me pay my rent and have this career. So what am I doing for them, besides coming to their town, doing a show and then leaving? What am I leaving behind?"

No comments: