Tuesday, May 20, 2008

anywhere I lay my head

So tomorrow is the big day -- sexpot Scarlett Johansson drops her much talked about album of Tom Waits' covers entitled Anywhere I Lay My Head. Now, I'm as skeptical as the next guy anytime a movie star tosses out a record. Make it a Tom Waits cover album and I'm pretty much signed off already. That being said, I watched some footage of her studio session today (click here to see it) and I gotta say, she's not terrible. I'm not buying the album or anything nor do I totally love her stuff, but I'm fairly pleased with her not pop-starring it out on this. She's mellow, chill and basically not trying anything crazy and her voice is very cool. I also gotta say that I like the studio session stuff 100 times better than the recorded stuff (see video below for comparison). I'm not down with that video they put out at all really. But live, I dig it a little bit. Very PJ Harvey meets Ronnie Spector-ish. And if David Bowie liked it enough to lend his vocals, well then who are we to point and laugh?

No comments: