Monday, May 19, 2008

looong weekend round-up

Thank whoever you have to thank for long weekends!  They're just plain ol'outstanding.  We stretched it out into a 5 day weekend which was a kind of good they haven't even invented yet.  I thought about blogging tons but then realized the last thing I wanted to do after the last few weeks was spend any more time in front of a stupid computer.  

Thursday started out the 5 day weekend and we kicked it off in style by going out tree-planting with Marc's office.  He does environmental-type work and they go planting every year and since I was off I opted to tag along and do my part for Mother Nature.  We had glorious weather and there were sandwiches.  What more can you ask for.  Here's some sweet tree-planting action shots from the day.



Friday brought the start of the weekend's craptacular weather and the squashing of our Manitoulin Island getaway plans.  I instead spent the day watching the tree guy take down a very old and very dead tree in our backyard (good thing I went tree-planting to reverse the damage).  On the positive side, the tree isn't going to come crashing down on our house or our neighbours' house during the next storm, the rest of the trees in our yard should now thrive and we've got enough firewood to get us through the next 2 winters.  So even though it was hard to watch, it was for the greater good.  I also managed to get my weeding done before it rained and became officially mega-crappy.  Friday night brought a lovely lovely dinner out with Ma and Pa Levesque and the start of wine time.  Wine time thankfully continued throughout the weekend.

Saturday we hung about the house being domestic.  Luckily it was still wine time so that helped to end the day on a high note.

Sunday my mother and I shopped like there was no tomorrow.  We pretty much cleaned out the Joe Fresh sale -- I actually bought a pink summer dress.  Don't tell anyone.  Two more stores later and we headed home with about 546 bags of loot.  I even let my mom talk me into getting a buttery soft, chocolate brown leather hip-length, double-breasted swing coat.  It might be the best thing ever.  And it was a RIDICULOUS bargain.  Happy Tara indeed.  End the day with an impromptu family dinner with the neices and their folks and you've got a pretty darn great day on your hands.  Oh yeah, and it was still wine time.  

Monday was the saddest day ever.  I have to go back to work tomorrow.  I was hoping this day would not, in fact, show up.  Here we are though.  To help take the sting off, we started the day with fresh baked scones (thanks to Kaili for bringing the Sconewitch into my life) and hit the movie theatre to hide from the bone-chilling cold.  On the menu, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian which was just what the doctor ordered.  2 1/2 hours of pure escapist movie watching and it was great.  I loved the first movie and this one was just as good.  Not as wide-eyed fantastical as the first one but when you're dealing with this genre, that's generally what happens.  The first one is meant to show you what's what, how stuff works etc and the second one has to get down to business.   It was super exciting, much more serious, had some pretty bad fake-Spanish accents, and was just plain great fantasy.  I would have liked more Aslan cuz he's just cool but I totally get why there wasn't.  I'm just demanding with my fuzzy lion screentime.  Prince Caspian = outstanding weekend matinee choice and worth the wait.

No comments: