Wednesday, July 9, 2008

deer beds



These photos made the blogger-rounds a few months back and I wasn't going to blog about them but I just can't stop thinking about them. Maybe it's cuz we're venturing into the bush next week and it's likely we'll see some of these? All of us Northerners have come across a deer bed at least once in our lives and Katherine Wolkoff was so moved by them she created a whole series of images. She followed deer trails and photographed the deer beds she came across. I think they're beyond lovely. In case you're not familiar with them, at night a deer will press down the vegetation to create a sleeping place safe from predators. They never use the same bed twice, but the imprints can last for a few days. She was so moved by the experience that she chose to print the images 40x50 inches, almost life size. I think these would be great prints to have in a bedroom -- staring at a place even an animal felt safe to sleep in? Now that's calming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know, that 2nd photo looks to me like it was a giant bunny laying down in profile...