Monday, December 3, 2007

Weekend round-up

Ah tis the season for sure now! We got walloped this weekend with the first big storm of the season. And on December 1st no less! Needless to say, much of the weekend was spent either prepping for said storm or recovering from said storm and not much in between.

I started to maybe feel like I was coming down with something early in the weekend so Friday night I stayed in and Marc met up with our friend Ben for drinks. We did manage to get the tree up if not decorated on Friday too so at least I got to look at a beautifully lit tree for the night.

Saturday we did a monster load of groceries as it felt like we hadn't shopped in weeks. We got a million things done including cleaning out our fridge. There's really nothing that makes you feel like a filthier person than emptying your fridge and seeing all the spills and crusty stuff hiding in the corners. I always find it embarrasing and gross and we've implemented a new fridge organizational system as a result. After that, Marc took me out for a lovely dinner at the new cajun/creole restaurant in town. Delicious! I had alligator that was super yummy and watched Marc down some oysters which was less than pleasant for me. He seemed to like them though so it's all good. High point of ridiculous for the evening had to me the pair of girls at the next table. For most of the night I thought they were having a fairly indepth and intellectual conversation about a book they read. I thought they might be a tiny little book club or something. That is until I heard one of them say "Voldemort" and I realized that they'd been discussing Harry Potter the whole time. Now don't me wrong, I love the Harry as much as the next girl but under no circumstances are you to spend the better part of an hour picking the books apart and analyzing the symbolism of why the Weasley's have red hair and picking apart the order of what happened in each book and absolutely under no circumstances are you to quote full sentences from the books. Ever! It was really something. It was like they were picking apart War and Peace and I just really wanted to shake them.

Sunday was more snow, snow and then some more snow. We hunkered down and put up our Christmas decorations, got the tree up and the mantle done (I'll post pics later) and Marc kept chipping away at our baseboards. They look so good and I'm so happy they're turning out! Cuz of the weather we opted for hardcore comfort food and made Butternut Squash Cannelloni with a Walnut and Sage cream sauce that was so good it's hard to describe. Thank god for leftovers I say.

It hasn't stopped snowing for what feels like forever and today I apparently was out before the sidewalk plows. By the time I got to work I thought my legs were going to fall off. Ahh winter walking...at least it's good for the calves.

No comments: