* denotes Canadian talent
italics denotes a new release
Our friend Dennis lost his sweet mom suddenly this past weekend. This is a show similar to the one I did when I lost my gramma. Sometimes sad music helps....
- Johnny Cash -- Give My Love to Rose -- American IV: The Man Comes Around
- Willie Nelson -- Can I Sleep in Your Arms? -- Red Headed Stranger
- The Weakerthans -- Left and Leaving -- Left and Leaving *
- Van Morrison -- Crazy Love -- Moondance
- Rilo Kiley -- A Man/Then Me/Then Jim -- More Adventurous
- Natalie Merchant -- Beloved Wife -- Live in Concert
- Oh Susanna -- I'll Keep it With Mine -- Oh Susanna *
- Neko Case -- South Tacoma Way -- Furnace Room Lullaby
- Lucinda Williams -- Reason To Cry -- Essence
- Leona Naess -- Ballerina -- Leona Naess
- Neutral Milk Hotel -- April 8th -- On Avery Island
- Joel Plaskett -- Unconditional Love -- Down at the Khyber *
- She and Him -- Sentimental Heart -- Volume One
- Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova -- Falling Slowly -- Once OSR
- Jeff Buckley -- Last Goodbye -- Grace
- Blur -- No Distance Left to Run -- 13
- The Jayhawks -- Take Me With You When You Go -- Hollywood Town Hall
- Hayden -- I Should've Been Watching You -- Skyscraper National Park *
- Gillian Welch -- I Had A Real Good Mother and Father -- Soul Journey
- Emmylou Harris -- All My Tears -- Wrecking Ball
- Bright Eyes -- We are Nowhere and it's Now -- I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
- Ben Harper -- Waiting on an Angel -- Welcome to the Cruel World
- Cat Power -- Sea of Love -- The Covers Record
- Elliott Smith -- Twilight -- From a Basement on the Hill
- Ryan Adams -- Cry on Demand -- Demolition
- Kate Maki -- Strangest Dream -- Confusion Unlimited *
- Feist -- Lonely, Lonely -- Let It Die *
- The Wooden Sky -- Angels -- If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone *
- Bon Iver -- Re: Stacks -- For Emma, Forever Ago
MUSICAL NOTES THIS WEEK:
- All songs about Hurtin' and Healin' tonight;
- Best parts of lonely indeed. Why is it so nice to relish in loneliness sometimes?
- Van Morrison -- breaking and healing your heart all at the same time;
- A song about a couple married longer than most people have been alive = super sad;
- One of my favourite Bob Dylan covers courtesy of Oh Susanna;
- Thanks to Neko Case for writing one of my all-time favourite ultra-sad songs. Sometimes I think it's entirely about me;
- I think a boy made me practically wear out my copy of Essence. Stupid boys...
- When Leona Naess sings the "please come back to me" line I'm incapable of not getting misty eyed....
- Man have you ever looked at the lyrics for "April 8th" -- it's frigging crazy sad!!!!!!
- "I hope you're with someone who makes you feel safe in your sleep." Ultimate sad break-up lyric. Swoon!
- Remember in Juno when they play Sea of Love?? Such a sweet/super sad scene. Yup, I cried...
- If I was Mandy Moore, I'd make Ryan Adams sing me "Cry on Demand" every single day or else DIVORCE!!