Sunday, January 11, 2009

weekend round-up

So I'm posting my weekend round-up before my weekend is technically over but I'm pretty confident that nothing else of any substance is going to happen.  We kicked off the weekend doing......drumroll......not a whole lot actually.  We ordered some pizza and watched some episodes of The Wire, chilled out and really just appreciated the fact that it was Friday.

Saturday we had another giant successful puppy get together in the park.  We've now officially dubbed these puppy parties "Dogs = Awesome" and I think we're going to make an effort to do them with a bit more regularity.  They are SO fun!!  And our town doesn't have a dog park so really, it can be hard to socialize your dog sometimes.  This time around we had about 8 dogs: some repeat customers like Murray, Soup, Nelly and Gypsy and a few new faces like Pico, Milo, Kelly, Beni and even Samson who just happened to be in the park at the right time and numbers were exchanged so they can come to the next puppy party.  Sadie basically fell into a coma the second we got home which is A O.K in our book.  The only downside, I got peed on by a dog and had to make a pitstop at the drycleaners on my way home to shed my coat right then and there.

We spent the rest of the day prepping our pulled pork sammiches to bring to a potluck at Peter and Lara's place.  And when I said "we" prepped, I mean that Marc woke up at 4 AM to turn on the pork so that it would be ready in time for the party.  I gotta say, waking up in the morning to the smells of pulled pork cooking away is a pretty amazing smell.  We bought an entire pork shoulder which amounts to 12 pounds of pork.  It was really something.  It was photo worthy.
Sunday brought a pretty slow morning as I may have had a bit too much wine at the potluck.  Maybe.  Possibly.  We did manage to get ourselves out for a great 2 hour hike out at the conservation area with Sadie though which really turned out the be the cure all.  The weather was beautiful and we were lucky enough to stumble across a guy with a GIANT Alaskan Malamute pulling a dogsled with a sweater-clad pug riding IN a box on the sled.  It may have been the funniest thing ever.  Especially to stumble across in the middle of the bush.  And Sadie also managed to almost make a grown woman cry out of fear.  I get that some people are afraid of dogs and all, I really do, but she's a fat, fuzzy puppy wagging her tail being adorable.  There's no reason to hide behind your husband and yell "Attendre le chien!! Attendre le chien!!!!!"  Whatever.  She really only made it worse by freaking out cuz then all Sadie wanted to do was to go and see her cuz she was raising her voice and hiding.  Anyway, we were out there for hours and then ran some errands and Sadie passed out the second we got home.   Here are some pics of the resulting exhausting cuteness.


These are the stages of a puppy falling asleep:





Tonight, my plan is to eat leftover pulled pork sammiches and watch the Golden Globes.  Now I wrote in my Golden Globe rundown that I haven't actually seen many of the movies nominated this year but I've managed to knock a few more off my list.  We saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and liked it quite a bit.  Brad Pitt is probably the best I've seen him but having said that, that really still doesn't say much mainly because he's pretty much dwarfed by a tremendous supporting cast.  Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton in the same movie???  How did he think he was going to get noticed??  And as I said, my pet peeve about David Fincher is that every one of his movies is SO dark.  Seriously dude, hang some lights or something.  Not everything has to be done in the dark.  Crazy impressive make-up work though and Cate Blanchett is just simply luminescent.  She's so gorgeous in this movie it's hard to watch.  Good story too - has kind of a Big Fish feel to it and is really a great story for anyone who thinks about losing the people they love be it a husband, wife, mother or friend.  There were lots of crying women around me that's for sure.

And continuing on the Brangelina train, we also saw Changeling which wasn't a bad little movie at all.  The best thing about this movie though is really the story itself.  A true story that's almost hard to fathom, it's almost enough to carry the movie on its own.  Angelina, well she's fine.  Not bad at all, not one bit, but nothing amazing.  Unless you count the skeletal nature of her body as something award-worthy.  Seriously skin and bones.  I was honestly happier to see Amy Ryan and Colm Feore show up in the movie.   But the movie is gorgeous to watch and probably the first Clint Eastwood film I've actually really liked.  Don't even get me started on the stinkfest that was Million Dollar Baby, I don't care what the Oscars said.

And on another sidenote, just to let everyone know, I'll be out of commission for a bit to take care of some medical business.  The only good thing about all the hoopla this fall was that they discovered something we probably would never have known about and is likely what caused the miscarriage.  So on Tuesday I'm going to get some surgery to take care of it all and then, fingers crossed, life will move on as it should.  But unfortunately, I'm going to be out of the game for a few weeks.  I'll likely be blogging from my sofa at some point but likely not for the first week or so anyway.  I'm toying with the idea of pre-programming some stuff but we'll see.  I've got to get all my pajamas in order for my convalescence!!  I got to look cute for the orderlies don't I??

So bear with me while I'm gone and don't forget about us!  I'm going to be watching buckets of bad television and ordered fancy cable just to keep myself entertained.  And I guess I'll try to read some books in the middle of it all to keep myself from getting stupid.

2 comments:

Dennis said...

dude, Sadie is going to be like 8 feet tall, her paws in those pictures are ENORMOUS!!!!

Design Scouting said...

Good luck with the hospital stuff, I'm sure it will go well... sending you lots of love!

Abbey