Friday, January 25, 2008

slow cooker success #2: thai chicken

Now this post deserves a bit of a pre-amble. I'm calling it a success cuz it was indeed tasty and we decided that we liked it enough to keep tweaking it. But it wasn't perfect. It doesn't make nearly enough for lunches the next day so the next time we make it we'll try doubling the recipe. It's also not as flavourful as we'd hoped. Maybe for a Thai food newbie it would be just fine but for us, we found it slightly lacking. We added a mountain of baby spinach at the end just to fill it out a bit and that certainly helped. Definitely do not forget to sprinkle with the cilantro and peanuts when you serve it -- it really does make all the difference. We know because we forgot and had to do some last minute plate doctoring halfway through eating.

But as I said, we're willing to keep trying cuz it's a great jumping off point and did get better in the fridge overnight.

Ingredients:
8 chicken thighs
1 cup hot salsa
¼ cup peanut butter
2 Tbs lime juice
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp ginger, grated
½ c. peanuts, chopped
2 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions:
Place chicken in slow cooker. Mix together remaining ingredients, except peanuts and cilantro.
Pour over chicken. Cover; cook on Low 8-9 hours or High 3-4 hours. Remove chicken. Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro.

2 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

I have yet to find a crock pot recipe that has any flavor. I jokingly call it the flavor-sucker. I am very excited you have a recipe that has flavor. I will pull out my crock pot and try again.

tara said...

be sure and look back to my chicken enchilada post -- they were so good I was surprised.