Monday, September 8, 2008

weekend round-up

The only thing worth mentioning about Friday really was the consuming of one of the best chicken-on-a-bun dinners of my life at Deluxe -- a local greasy spoon. I've always said I could eat a chicken-on-a-bun dinner any day at the drop of a hat and this particular one just cemented that for me. It. Was. So. Delicious. The rest of the night isn't even worth talking about after that.

Well maybe let's talk about it a little bit -- I stayed home while Marc went out to his friend's place where they spent the night canning 2 bushels of tomatoes. That's right. My husband spent his Friday night canning tomatoes with another man until 1:30am. I mock now but come February when I have lovely fresh tomatoes at my fingertips, I'll be mighty thankful.

Saturday we puttered about the house and waited for the arrival of our latest doggy ward. This time around it's Cobe, an Irish Wolfhound/Shepherd cross and he'll be spending the week with us. Cobe is ginormous, a huge baby, soft and furry and basically a big sweetheart. He's got a bark on him that would make the toughest man step back and he looks like a big black wolf but he's all softie on the inside. He moans when he lays down, walks offleash like a dream, and is all about the early morning cuddlefest. I think it'll be a fun week sharing the house with a small pony. Saturday night we laid low and watched The Science of Sleep which was just a lovely, charming movie. We both really, really liked it. To be the production designer on this movie would have been loads of fun I think. This mix of reality and dream worlds of knitted ski slopes and entire cities made from toilet paper rolls....so perfect. There's virtually no computer effects and most of the effects were done by the crew themselves and by hand. It was just lovely. Gael Garcia Bernal and Paris?? What a combo...

Sunday we further unravelled the mystery that is Cobe the dog (he's like an onion) and I made a yummy dinner of Turkey Meatloaf and Roasted Nutmeg Cauliflower all from Ellie Krieger's book The Food You Crave. I bought this book on recommendation from the good folks at 24 Boxes and it's been worth every penny. Basically it's a collection of healthier versions of all your favourite stuff and follows the rule of "often," "sometimes," and "rarely." So far everything we've made has been delicious. It was no chicken-on-bun dinner but......nothing is really.

.

3 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

Chicekn on a bun. Is that fried or broiled chicken and what kind of sauce do you like? I am strangely curious?

I am so happy to hear you are dog sitting again. Did it move Mark towards the right direction of you two getting another furry friend?

I really liked The Science of Sleep. It is such an incredibly creative and innovative film.

Jane Flanagan said...

Oh my god, can we see a pic of Cobe? I love Irish Wolfhounds! They're the gentlest, most wizardly, giants!

tara said...

LBR: it's just straight up pulled chicken off a whole roasted bird covered in this mystery red sauce and slapped on a soft bun, served with the best fries in the kingdom of fries with more mystery red sauce for dipping. I'm drooling.
The dog-sitting I think totally helps. Especially when the dog is great like Cobe.

Jane: I will definitely take pictures. He's very handsome and wizardly indeed. Smaller than a normal wolfhound cuz of the Shepherd mix but still very lanky and long. When you see him running at night, it's borderline creepy cuz he's so wolfy.