Wednesday, September 17, 2008

so far

Alright so here's an update of Cinefest so far. I'm taking tonight off in the hopes of shaking off some of this fatigue but I'm not holding my breath.


Monday the gala presentation was Happy Go Lucky and was my first film of the week. This was probably the film I was most excited about seeing. Unfortunately, it was bad. It was really, really bad. I likened it to a really long, really bad episode of The Gilmour Girls. The main character is supposed to be quirky and lovable like Amelie. For me, she succeeded in being only annoying and somebody I wanted to grab and shake repeatedly. Amelie she was not. Not in her wildest dreams. The plot goes nowhere, the characters are unlikeable, and the dialogue is far too staccato and painful to listen to. Some people loved this movie but I just couldn't wrap my head around it and if Sally Hawkins wins an Oscar for this I just might boycott.

Followed that by a cute little documentary called Just Say It which focused on public speaking - North America's #1 fear. For an early project it was pretty well done and had a good pace to it.


After that, a mockumentary called Let Him Be about a young couple off to discover if John Lennon is really alive and living on a farm in Northern Ontario. Not a great film but you can appreciate what he was trying to do. That and he got all weepy in the Q&A after the film and that was kinda cute.


On to the gala presentation of Fifty Dead Men Walking, a really really good film about the story of Martin McGartland who lived the double life of a secret agent to the IRA and the British goverment. This film was intense and hard to watch at times but moved quickly and did a good job capturing the rawness of that time in history. It also stars the handsome handsome Jim Sturgess who, even though he's playing this scruffy, dirty and grubby guy, you still want to smooch him up. And any movie starring Ben Kingsley has to be good. If I had to complain, it would be about some of the more graphic torture scenes which made me do the "Eeek!" and then arm punch to my boss sitting next to me, and the inclusion of Rose McGowan the most useless actress in the world.

Today we saw a movie about meth-addiction called Run Rabbit Run that sadly killed the buzz of the great gala the night before. This movie tried really hard to be edgy and graphic and succeeded in being only mildly interesting. The cast was here and we got to meet them and while they were lovely, polite and gracious, the movie itself didn't jive with me. It did make me never want to go anywhere near crystal meth though so maybe it did achieve its goal after all.

And that's it for me so far. There's some good movies playing tonight but I really can't go anywhere near them. I already took a giant nap right after work and I suspect I may have another before the night is done. Tomorrow I'm off to some other Northern Ontario stuff during the day and then perhaps the gala film of Stone of Destiny (who's director Charles Martin Smith is here at the festival -- he was in The Untouchables!!) and then The Brothers Bloom.





8 comments:

Canadian in London said...

That's too bad about Happy go Lucky.... I had heard good things too. I hope Brothers Bloom is awesome...

Jane Flanagan said...

I Love Ben Kingsley (a lot!) and really want to see Fifty Dead Men Walking. But I have to get in a very particular mind-set to see films about N. Ireland. Cuts a little close to home I guess.

Did you happen to see "A Film with me in It"? I'm dying to see that... looks awesome.

tara said...

No I haven't seen that yet but I'll definitely keep my eyes open for it...

Anonymous said...

This is ridiculously unprofessional. Don't you have a mandate of bringing film making to Northern Ontario? Here you are bashing Canadian films, whose cast and crew you no doubt met. Well done. I hope you get fired.

Anonymous said...

Well put.

tara said...

Ahh my first negative comments, which believe it or not, I'm happy to see. Sadly you don't have the guts to post your name like everyone else which is unfortunate.

Now for the bashing -- first off, this is my "Tara personal" blog not my "Tara work" blog which allows me to say whatever I want. My job is my job and does not define me as a person.

Second, I don't believe I bashed any film and the issues I had with the film are nothing I wouldn't have said to the makers of the film, had I indeed met them. Which I did not. The kids from R.R.R I said were lovely and polite and gracious and that is not a lie. The film itself I didn't love and I think that's fair. Same with L.H.B -- I appreciated what he was trying to do and thought the producer was modest and gracious. That doesn't mean I have to love the film.

Other than those 2 films, I don't believe I critiqued any other film other than Happy Go Lucky, a major studio release that has nothing to do with me.

Sadly, no Canadian film bashing was done despite your belief to the contrary. And if you're at all an avid reader of this blog, which I doubt, you'll see that I often rave about Canadian films, specifically Northern Ontario products, both music and film related. I sleep very well at night knowing that there are few bigger believers in Canadian content than myself and that I work very hard to keep that content flowing.

As for the firing, well I'll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

I need to start off by saying that I am not the same person that left the previous negative comment. I do however find it funny as hell that your "Tara personal" blog is written during "Tara work" hours. Written at 10:55 a.m. on a Monday morning. Hooray for being productive!

tara said...

On the contrary. Actually I prefer to write my blog from the comfort of my sofa while I watch my stories. Ideally with a glass of wine and some snacks. If I choose to respond to a comment while I drink my coffee at my desk however, I feel completely fine doing that too. I think those few minutes are more than accounted for in my overtime tracker.

Also, if you attack my work, you bet I'll respond while I'm at work and in that mindset. FYI, I also like to read the obituaries at work and also check my favourite celebrity gossip site from time to time. I sometimes even go to the bathroom on work time and when my mother calls, I take her call.